Status of a student with special needs
Do you want to obtain information regarding possible adjustments of the study process, study environment and information for students with the status of a student with special needs?
In one place, you can get the needed information about enrollment and possible study adjustments and who to contact in connection with this.
COORDINATOR FOR STUDENTS WITH SPECIAL NEEDS
The coordinator for students with special needs is available for you to discuss individual needs in order to jointly formulate a proposal for adaptations of the study process, which will be discussed at the Commission for Student and Academic Affairs.
ADJUSTMENTS TO THE STUDY PROCESS
Students with special needs and students with a special status are entitled to specific adaptations of the study process and additional professional assistance in their studies, whereby they can progress and complete their studies in a longer time period than is intended in the study program, while retaining other student rights and benefits from the first paragraph of Article 69 of the Act on Higher Education (Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, No. 32/12 – UPB, with amendments and additions).
Students with special needs are provided with additional special adaptations of their studies, based on deficits, obstacles or disturbances. During the study period, it is possible to:
- Adjust lectures and exercises
- Adjust the methods of checking and evaluating knowledge
- Adjust the library policies
DOCUMENTS RELATING TO THE STATUS OF A STUDENT WITH SPECIAL NEEDS
- blind and partially sighted students or students with impaired visual function,
- deaf and hard of hearing students,
- students with speech and language disorders,
- students with deficits in individual learning areas,
- mobility impaired students,
- long-term sick students,
- students with autism spectrum disorders,
- students with psychosocial problems.
The status of a student with special needs and special status is decided by the Commission for Student and Academic Affairs, which adopts a decision by which the requested status can be granted to the student or not.
- A student who wishes to apply for the status of student with special needs must fill out the form Application for obtaining the title of student with special status / student with special needs, which is available to students in Moodle under Study Forms. Students applying for the status of a student with special needs fill out Annex 1 on the form.
- In addition to the filled-out form, the student must attach the appropriate documents proving the eligibility for the status of a student with special needs:
- the decision on the orientation of the Institute of the Republic of Slovenia for Education,
- expert opinion – commissions for the guidance of children with special needs,
- the decision of the Center for Social Work, the report and opinion of the expert committee for the classification of children and adolescents,
- the decision of the Pension and Disability Insurance Institute of Slovenia,
- medical certificate from a specialist doctor.
Note: Evidence must be valid for the academic year for which the status is granted.
- The student submits the filled-out application and relevant documentation to the submission site of the online classroom of the Commission for Study and Student Affairs, which is located in Moodle: https://moodle.fuds.si/course/view.php?id=276
- If the candidate submits the documentation before the start of the academic year in which he/she will start studying at FUDŠ, he/she should send the documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Committee for Student and Academic Affairs meets as a rule once a month, namely on the 3rd Monday of each month.
PARKING at the faculty headquarters in Nova Gorica
The parking lot for the disabled is located behind the faculty building. Drive along Gregorčičeva Street past the faculty and turn left onto Pod Grčno Street, then after a few meters immediately turn left again, go to the end of the street and there is a parking lot on the left side as can be seen in the picture below.
ACCESSIBILITY OF INDOOR SPACES in Nova Gorica
People with mobility impairments are granted unhindered access to attending the pedagogical process.The routing systems are visible as soon as you enter the faculty lobby. The steering system is equipped with a larger contrast print. All offices of the faculty associates are equipped with signs (also in Braille).
ACCESSIBILITY BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT in Nova Gorica
If you are travelling by foot, the Nova Gorica main bus station is 450 m away from the School of Advanced Social Studies. Access for the visually impaired and the blind is relatively easy.For more information on accessibility, please read MONG’s Accessibility Strategic Plan.
PARKING at the dislocated unit in Ljubljana at Leskoškova 9e
There are 2 parking spaces for the disabled at the dislocated unit in Ljubljana (Leskoškova 9e). From the entrance, they are approx. 20 m away.
ACCESSIBILITY OF INDOOR SPACES in Ljubljana
At the dislocated unit in Ljubljana, all lecture rooms (1-9) are accessible for physically challenged students. Also, all floors in the building are accessible by elevator. There are no barriers (stairs) from the entrance to the faculty premises. All lecture rooms and offices of the faculty associates are equipped with signs (also in Braille).
ACCESSIBILITY BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT in Ljubljana
If we are going on foot, the Leskoškova bus station is 400 m away from the dislocated unit of the faculty. Access for the visually impaired and the blind is regulated, the route runs along the sidewalk over a marked pedestrian crossing. There are no major obstacles along the way.
ADDITIONAL ADJUSTMENTS FOR THE BLIND AND VISUALLY IMPAIRED AND STUDENTS WITH DIFFERENT FORMS OF DISABILITIES
1) Adaptations of premises and equipment
The faculty, in cooperation with the Institute Dostop and the Nova Gorica Intermunicipal Society for the Blind and Visually Impaired, installed a number of adaptations for the blind and visually impaired, including direction boards, contrasting markings on the stairs, contrasting markings on glass surfaces, etc. Many other adaptations for students with various forms of disabilities are still in the process of being implemented.
2) Communication and information accessibility
The website has a plug-in installed that enables adaptations of the website for the needs of the blind and partially sighted. You can access the plug-in by moving the mouse to the upper right corner of the web page and clicking on the inscription “ACCESSIBILITY”.
Moodle learning environment
The Moodle learning environment has a plug-in installed that enables adaptations of Moodle for the needs of the blind and visually impaired. The plug-in is located on the right side of the overview panel in the “Accessibility” box.
The project (S4S) is being implemented within the framework of the OP “Strengthening the Role of Career Centers in the Comprehensive Treatment of Students.” “The investment is co-financed by the Republic of Slovenia and the European Union from the European Fund.”