Masters of Arts in Psychosocial counseling
Type (and level) of the programme: postgraduate MA programme (2nd level)
Duration: 2 years (4 semesters), 120 ECTS
Programmes: Within the study, by taking into consideration the expressed interest, the choice among logotherapy, gestalt, psychodynamic and socio-family psychotherapeutic approach will be possible.
Method and location of the study programme: Ljubljana and Nova Gorica
Professional title gained: MA in Psychosocial counseling
The following my apply for the master’s study programme Psychosocial help:
- Those that have finished a first level study programme in a suitable subject area with the completion of 180 credit of academic requirements according to the ECTS defined by the first paragraph of Article 38 of The Law on Higher education (in accordance with the Bolognian system). Psychotherapy graduates can be taken into consideration as a suitable subject area, wherein the mentioned diploma of the first-level programme could have been obtained home or abroad.
- Those who have finished a suitable study programme of higher professional education from an adequate subject area that was designed before the higher educational reforms - Bologna system. Psychotherapy graduates can be taken into consideration as a suitable subject area, wherein the mentioned diploma of the first-level programme could have been obtained home or abroad.
- Those who have finished equivalent study programs, mentioned in the previous paragraphs, from other subject area, if they met the obligations essential for further study - placement tests, according to the second paragraph of Article 38 of The Law on higher education.
Faculty entry may be limited if a significant number of applications exceeds the number of open spots advertised. In the case of a limited enrollment, candidates will be selected according to the average estimate of their undergraduate study.
Candidates with a first-level education and at least 240 credits, acquired in at least 4-years (Bologna) programmes from a suitable project area, can directly apply for the second year of the programme Psychosocial help. To complete their studies successfully, students must complete all obligations regarding the second-year in the amount of 60 credits. This assures, that within the same subject area the first and second level comprise altogether five years of study obligations according to the third paragraph of the Article 36 of The Law on higher education. Psychosocial help or psychotherapy graduates can be taken into consideration a suitable subject area, wherein the mentioned diploma of the first-level programme could have been obtained home or abroad.
Candidates with a high university education (before Bologna) acquired in at least four-year programmes can apply according to the criteria for the previous ones.
Objects of the program
The general objectives of the postgraduate program Psychosocial help is: the candidates professional competence in the interdisciplinary area of helping people in different life crises that include the capacity to perform as to research the psychosocial help, in order to get involved after the second level in:
- Psychosocial help in social security,
- Educational system,
- Health care,
- In psychosocial rehabilitation programmes,
- Penology or anywhere the various forms of psychosocial help are offered,
- and also economy, public, private or non-governmental organizations.
The program is designed distinctly in an interdisciplinary form. The students will gain a deep knowledge of various sociological, humanistic and health sciences (e.g. psychotherapy, social work, psychology, medicine, sociology, philosophy), to a lesser extent than needed for the formation of a wide and applicable professional profile, also from the area of jurisprudence.
Practical education has a great importance in the study of psychotherapy because of the applicable disposition of the program. The students will be in touch with practical problems through organized and individual work.
Practical training within the postgraduate studies of Psychosocial help will proceed in various forms: personal experience (individual), supervision (group), practice in psychiatric and other institutions, practice with psychotherapists of a chosen psychotherapeutic approach, independent advisory work with clients under supervision within the chosen psychotherapeutic approach.